Wednesday 20 November 2013

World of Warcraft Love Story: Blair and Dan's journey


Dan, 22, and Blair, 21, met through World of Warcraft


In my journey to find romantic gamers I was contacted by Blair and Dan. Blair, 21, is from Canada, Dan, 22, is from the US. Their long-distance love sparked by their mutual passion for World of Warcraft (Wow).

They explained to me that people you meet through the game are often people you regard as good friends. They had mutual good friends on WoW who introduced them via a three-way call on Skype. Joint game play allowed them to get to know each other and for their relationship to blossom.

There are full social circles out there online, friends who have not met in person, but regard each other as close companions, so meeting someone special is something that came naturally for Blair and Dan, although unexpected. Dan said: "I never expected to meet anyone like Blair or even make any new friends (on WoW).

"I started playing World of Warcraft when I saw my brother playing it. At that time in my life, I lived in the middle of nowhere. I couldn't go out and play with my friends, because I didn't have any friends near me. So when I wanted a social life, I played World of Warcraft."

Dan (left) and Blair's (right) WoW characters


Although many users don't go looking for it, Blair thinks it is a great way to meet someone. She said: "I think it is the most honest way to meet people. You don't know what they look like. I mean, you know what their 'Night Elf' looks like, but you don't know what they look like.

"So if you're looking for a romantic relationship I think it's a good place to meet people. You get to know someone's personality before you even look at them. Instead of thinking someone is hot, you think 'this person is really interesting, I want to get to know them better'".

Dan went on to say: "Just because you play a different character online, doesn't mean you can't be yourself."

Blair and Dan have been together for two years, but only met in person months after they started seeing each other. Dan said: "We were talking for over eight hours a day from the moment we met. To me it was seamless. I was talking to Blair on Skype one day, and she was here the next."

The couple are clearly happy, but do they still play WoW? Blair said: "Even though we don't play it all the time, it is still a big thing in our relationship."

Meeting new people is great, but remember to always keep safe online.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment